Thursday, August 26, 2010

Aloha Week

A dear friend suggested I take pictures of the islands this week as I say good bye. While a great idea, I don’t actually get to see these islands. One island in particular, Hilo, I’ve never set foot on. I’ve seen a huge rusted building from deck 6, because that is our fire drill day and my muster station faces that side of the dock. But that’s all I’ve seen of Hilo.


Working in Hawaii, on a cruise ship sounds really glamorous. Now, let’s focus on the key word in that sentence ‘working’. There is no sightseeing, relaxation, or culture absorption. You WORK - period. I hear stories about some crew members being able to go to off shore excursions, which are offered to crew at an extreme discount, but these excursions are always offered during my work hours.


NCL does make an effort to have night time excursions for those who can’t make the daytime events. Twice now they’ve offered the same event, bowling and pizza. No thank you, I’m too clumsy to bowl and make pizzas all day long, everyday.


My new work schedule technically allows me 90 minutes to get off the ship in the mornings. Usually more like 74 minutes depending on if the gangplank is ready or if I have to wait for the passengers to disembark first.


The ship docks into a pier which is MILES from anything remotely touristy. I see many 18 wheelers, parking lots and highways. If I walk for about a 1/2 mile I can get to a strip mall. My precious 74 morning minutes are spent trying to get some fresh air in my lungs and natural Vitamin D on my skin, frantically check emails/blog and a tiny workout.


Once, I asked to switch schedules with a co-worker so I could have a Spa Day in Kona. After explaining what a Spa Day was to my supervisor, approval had to be sought through the Executive Chef. After approval, I worked the 3:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. shift, dashed to the cabin to shower and change, then wait in the hallway, until crew were allowed to finally board the tender (small boat) to Kona. I was 20 minutes late for my 1:00 p.m. appointment. The appointment takes an hour and then I immediately reboard the tender, back to the ship. Crew have to be on board 1 hour before the ship sails, otherwise you get a free ticket to a Warning Session. The ship sails from Kona at 4:00 p.m. Passengers are already lined up for the tenders at 2:30 p.m.. Passengers are first, if the tender is full I have to wait for the next available. This is a panicky dicey situation and I hate it.


Most evenings after work, I eat dinner, shower and read a book or watch a rented movie. The overnight evenings (Sun/Thurs) I’ll go out to a movie (Sunday) or go out to dinner (Thursday).


Anyhow, I did take pictures of what I see of the islands. I’ll share them with you, this should be mildly entertaining.


No comments:

Post a Comment