Thursday, August 19, 2010

Singing in Crew Mess

I have a deep attachment to music. I ALWAYS have a song running through my head. In times past, I’ve been known to break out in song, especially while working. For whatever reason, I NEVER make a peep in this kitchen. In fact, when people stroll through our kitchen, comments are made at how quiet we are. We all just stare mutely at the person and keep whizzing away at our tasks.


Lately, we are all really, really tired and several of us are leaving very soon. One day, I guess to break the droning fatigue, Mikey, starts singing the theme song to “The Jefferson’s”!? Then Chris chimes in with the next verse, I take off with the next and we all chime in together - it’s weird, but fun at the same time! We’re singing LOUD, flailing our arms, snapping fingers, and doing little jigs at our separate stations.


Then a fourth voice chimes in. I’m not paying it any attention, still doing a little shuffle in front of the fryer, singing. Mikey stopped singing and is furiously slinging bok choy onto the grill. That’s okay, Chris and I have got it, were leading up to “We finally get a piece of the pie”. Then Chris stops singing, and is grinning at me like its Christmas. I grin back and keep singing thinking he’s probably digging my vocals!!


The fourth voice ducks his globelike dome around Chris, looking at me and warbles out SUPER LOUD “We’re movin’ on up!” I stopped singing and gawk, it’s Mr. Aloha, Staff Capt. Ron!


As Capt. Ron zips out of the kitchen, I turn to the guys and ask, “How does HE know that song? That TV show was decades before he was born.” While Capt. Ron is an imposing figure, if he’s over the age of 35, I’ll eat my clodhopper shoes.


Minutes later Capt. Ron comes back to the kitchen to tell me he watched that show as a kid growing up. I asked him if he saw it on Nickelodeon. He said no, when it was originally broadcast. I found this incredulous. So I boldly asked, “How old are you?” He said, “41.”


Okay, he’s old enough. I ate clodhopper shoe for lunch that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment