Sunday, August 15, 2010

Chivalry is Dead

I don’t know where I got this silly notion, men open doors for a woman, allow her to go first through passage ways, or in general defer to a woman. Maybe it’s because that’s the treatment I’ve received all my natural life, until I got here!!


I’ve been trampled, elbowed, kneed, body slammed, shoved aside, and had doors slammed in my face!! I can’t believe it!! These dudes have ZERO manners. I look around at the other women on this ship and they seem to take the trampling, elbowing, etc., all in stride. C’mon girls, really? Are you okay with being treated this way?


Recently, I overheard one sous chef talking to another sous chef, about a cute, young Asst. Cook. The sous chef had asked the other if he had “waxed that, yet”. I’m pretty sure dude was asking if he’d had sex with her yet. Eeeewwww!!


That conversation, suddenly made things crystal clear to me why I’m daily reminding these guys to call me by my real name, why the men in authority on this vessel feel within their rights, to talk to me like I’m their hated ex-wife.


These men/boys have NO RESPECT for women or at the very least an extremely low opinion of women.

No comments:

Post a Comment